Do you know, Marina beach is the second longest beach in World and longest in India. Yes, if you happen to visit Chennai, plan for this early morning walk. You can also watch the sunrise if sky is clear. If you are in Chennai, then you are so lucky you can try this walk on all weekends if not weekdays.
You may want to reach the light house before 5:30AM or early, to see the sunrise if interested. There are plenty of space to park your car near the light house. After 8AM it becomes very hot and sunny, so start early.
You are not the only one, there are plenty of people come here just for walk, jog, exercises, yoga, meditation and relaxation...etc. Very positive and most happening place. Some are flying a small kite at low height(kites are banned here), many of them doing yoga, few jogging, many walking, few learning boxing with instructors, few learning silambattam (refer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silambattam).
Many local sellers promoting healthy juices i.e. aloe-vera juice, juice of arugambul i.e. bermuda grass (refer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_grass). Few local people kept weighing scale both analog and digital versions for people to check their weight, you can even check your BMI (body mass index). It was amazing to see that the weight management, health awareness, eating healthy are given importance.
There is long stretch of 4Kms (approx) walkway starting from the light house. There are policemen on horses doing rounds (mounted police). You can also walk on evenings, but might get more crowded than in mornings.
1. Please avoid using Kites on the beaches here, as it poses danger to others. As the wind keep changing its directions and speed, the kite can fallback anytime on the neck or face of people who walk/drive nearby. There were many incidents where people got killed as well.
2. After 8AM morning, the place gets too hot and sunny.
3. This is a good place for evening walk as well, but gets crowded than in mornings.
4. There are many good restaurants on the way for breakfast. Use google map search.
5. Bring your own water bottle (to reduce plastic bottle usage) from home and wear shoes.
|Just arrived at Light house and parked the car.|
|It is cloudy and may not get chance to see the sunrise I guess... !!!|
|At 5:30..... daylight|
|On family enjoying with small kite....|
|Waiting for the sun to come out of the clouds.....|
|Yes, there you are.... ! Cool... I was waiting for you !!|
|Nice to see the sun rays coming through the clouds|
|Yes, almost there.....|
|Still little more clouds to clear.....|
|Good show !!|
|Here comes the worry now.... .will it become very hot soon ? !! .....|
|Beautiful Vivekananda Cultural Centre building|
|Chennai University (Madras University) building|
|Here is the walkway extended to nearly 4 Kms I guess|
|Policemen on the horses|
|Healthy Aloevera juice seller|
|Finally done with walk and leaving......|